Monday, November 5, 2012

Cover Up Sewing Machine Cover

I finally finished my sewing machine cover a few weeks ago after having to make several (unplanned!) modifications.  The original pattern (Cover Up) does not have the patchwork panel around the bottom of the machine but it turned out too short!  Since I had plenty of fabric leftover I decided I would rip out the stitching on the sides and add a panel to the bottom.  Then of course it was too long!  So I ended up deciding to remove the panel off one end and cut it shorter.  That was a major mistake!  I should have removed the panel from both ends and trimmed evenly since I had already boxed the corners on the top.  Instead I ended up with one side of the cover way too short and the other side way too long!  So I decided to remove the bottom panel, cut off all the green fabric (leaving a 1/2 inch seam allowance) and make new green side panels and sew it all together again.  There are some really bulky seams on the inside but it is lined so they don't show.  I learned a lot from this project, and I am really glad that I almost always buy extra fabric!  I am linking up today with {Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations! 

1 comment:

  1. Your sewing machine cover looks great. I can't believe everything you went through in making this. The colors are so pretty. Grandma would be so proud, your sewing machine and the cover you made sitting on that card table. Talk about something that has had lots of use. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete