Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cover Up WIP Wednesday

 This past week I have been working on a cover for my sewing machine, this is the Cover Up pattern by Empty Bobbin Sewing Studio.  This pattern tells you what measurements to take from your sewing machine to make a custom fit cover.  So far it has been very straightforward.  There are three options, one has a single piece for the middle portion, one has evenly cut strips of different fabrics and I opted for the version with wonky cut strips.  I used a 10" stacker of Good Life by Riley Blake fabrics.  The green swirly fabric is from the same line.  The white is Kona white.  The picture below shows the detail of some of the prints a little better. 

This morning I got the inside portion cut out, basted and now it is ready for me to quilt it.  I will probably straight line quilt it, I don't have much experience with anything else yet.  I am thinking of doing stitch in the ditch for the center portion on each of the individual strips.  I don't have any green thread for the main portion so I am probably going to use a light tan aurifil thread since I want to have this done before the next time I have to go to town.  I will hopefully remember to do a test on a scrap before I start quilting this!  
I have also been working on 2 of my knitting projects, the Ravi Cardigan and the Brandywine shawl.  Neither looks much different than the last time I posted them. I have discovered that if I stay off the internet I actually have time to get all more work done and still have knitting and sewing time during the day!  What a revelation!

We didn't end up going on the river last weekend, I don't think either of us was really in the mood to go.  Instead we went to the Quad Cities and checked out Front Street Brewery in Davenport and Bent River Brewery in Moline.  We enjoyed both stops, we shared a sampler tray at both places.  At Front Street Brewery you get a sample of each of their 6 beers.  They were sold out of one of those so they gave us a mix of the stout and the cherry ale that was very tasty.  At Bent River we tried the Paddlewheel Ale, American Wheat, Oatmeal Stout and Strawberry Blond.  We also had dinner at Bent River, I had a chicken cranberry wrap with poppyseed dressing.  In between those 2 stops Pat talked me in to going to the John Deere Pavilion which he enjoyed.  I couldn't argue since he let me go to Jo-Ann's to use my coupons from the coupon commotion flyer!  I got Quilting Modern by Jacquie Gering and Katie Pedersen for 50% off.  I also found some green fabric  to make a new cover for my ironing board.  It sort of goes with my sewing machine cover.  I told Pat when I was finished there that I am not going back to Jo-Ann for at least a month so hopefully I can stick to that!  I am committed to recycling the flyers as soon as they come in the mail.  I need to get some things done around here and stop buying supplies for new projects!

I should be back in a day or so with a review of a couple craft books I have read lately, Pretty in Patchwork Holidays and Knitwear Design Workshop.  I am linking up this week to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. 

2 comments:

  1. What a great project to be working on! I think the tan will look great!

    Thanks for sharing your adventures with us! I love hearing about new places and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute sewing machine cover!

    ReplyDelete